Friday, September 30, 2011

Movie Review: Warrior

Put simply: This film is a must-see! Whether you enjoy action and dramatic fight scenes, relational dramas about overcoming your past, stories of bravery and selflessness, or have a keen appreciation for cinematic style, Warrior is for you!

I knew very little about this film when I agreed to go see it with a friend. I knew it was about two MMA fighters, and that a couple friends highly recommended it. As a new UFC fan and a student of martial arts, that was really all I needed to know to give it a chance. Having seen movies featuring professional wrestlers, and seen two of the WWE films, I expected action and bad acting, but an overall enjoyable experience. What I found redefined martial arts genre.

Warrior is the story of two estranged brothers, Brendan and Tommy, who's lives were radically affected by their father's dinking and abuse. Now adults, both men struggle with their past while confronting the present. Brendan is determined to provide his family the life he never had despite mounting financial difficulty and a wife who disapproves of his desires to fight competitively. Tommy, deeply bitter and angry, returns to the home he once knew, apparently with the sole intention of training to get back in the cage. Through a combination of sheer determination and skill, both men take advantage of narrow opportunities to enter lucrative a global MMA tournament. Brendan fights to provide for his family while Tommy battles for the only thing he has left, and both are ready for war.

This is more than a great drama, though. Using advanced cinematography and excellent direction, Warrior provides highly engaging  cage action that is sure to keep you on the edge of your seat! Joel Edgerton and Tom Hardy display their incredible martial proficiency as they engage powerful opponents, including Rashad Evans and Erik Apple. There is no doubt that Warrior  has every bit of entertainment value as a UFC fight night!

There are a few other key elements I look for in a film that I want to take a moment to touch on. Its no secret that Hollywood and conservatives don’t always see eye to eye, so when I see a mainstream film that defies what I consider to be the “liberal film template” that permeates the industry, I like to make note of it. While Warrior has every opportunity to use the perceived money-making toss-ins like drugs, alcohol, on-screen sex, and other debauchery, it makes the conscious choice not to. When those elements are alluded to, it is always in a negative light. While there is a certain amount of adult language, it did not come across as overbearing or excessive. For the most part, the characters are all shown to be either essentially moral and trying to maintain a high standard, or struggling to overcome what many would consider “sinful habits”. Warrior certainly should not be considered a “Christian” film by any means, but I believe it is an appropriate film for parents to allow their teenagers to see with little concern.

Warrior: Excellent film for any movie lover, and hopefully and indication of quality fighter films to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment